While we were in Saigon (Ho Chi Minh City) we booked an organised tour to the Mekong Delta. Yes, that is as exotic as it sounds!
Options for Mekong Delta Tours:
From Saigon there are different options for taking a tour into the Mekong Delta, depending on what you want to do there, how much time you have and your budget.
Some people have time for just a one-day trip, which takes them normally to My Tho, right at the edge of the Mekong Delta, but if you have more time, you can go deeper into the Delta, visit a floating market and overnight in Can Tho, right in the heart of the delta.
We wanted to do an overnight stay so that we could go deeper into the Mekong and not spend the whole day on a bus.
Finding a Mekong Delta Tour in Saigon
There were millions of agencies in Saigon offering different tour packages to the Mekong Delta and many of the same too.
After spending the whole morning listening to similar quotes and itineraries we ended up booking with the one that was directly over the road from where we were staying.
My advice to you if you are booking a Mekong Delta tour is: once you have found an itinerary that you like, including everything you want, then just book it with whatever agency offers you a fair deal. There is no point in trekking all over town trying to save yourself a couple of dollars. The agencies are all so similar that it really doesn’t matter which one you use.
We paid less than 25€ a head for the whole Mekong Delta excursion. Here’s what was included:
· Bus to My Tho (about 3 hour drive from Saigon)
· Boat from My Tho to Ben Tre (about an hour’s boat ride)
· Fruit and tea snack with local dance demonstration
· River trip in typical rowing boat
· Visit to a place that made its own honey and liqueurs
· Visit to a place making “coconut candy”
· Ride on a horse-drawn cart
· Lunch (included)
· Journey by boat back to My Tho
· Bus transfer to Can Tho (capital of Mekong Delta)
· Overnight stay in hotel (including breakfast the next morning)
· Visit by boat to the floating market
· Visit to a place that made rice paper
· Visit to local farm and orchard
· Return coach to My Tho for lunch (not included) and then back to Saigon
The only thing that was not included in our Mekong Delta tour was dinner. All other meals were included and we thought that the tour was excellent value. So all we had to do now was get up early the next morning and set off on our adventure…
About the Author: Lisa, born and grew up in England, live in Mallorca, Spain... Have visited more than 20 countries, have twice as many to yet visit, love sharing experiences....